I’ve been getting pop-up error messages when starting up my computer. Once the desktop loads, there will be 4-5 small pop-up windows, saying “There was a problem starting C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp and something else. The path varies all the time but ends with the same error saying “The specified module could not be found”. I can just close all the pop-ups and continue my computer usage. But I don’t know if this is a malware, and it is really annoying. I’m not a computer wiz. Any advice to get rid of this error?
“The specified module could not be found” is an error message that can come on computer startup or appear itself whenever you launch a certain program or try to go online. Usually there are many reasons causing the error message occurs such as a related dll. file that is either corrupt or missing, or some software may not install or work properly. For this problem, it is easy to figure it out. Usually you can resolve the problem by replacing the corrupted file. But the most common reason that PC users should pay attention on is this error can be caused by a malware which is hiding inside your computer and capable of escaping security products. Undoubtedly it will put both your computer system and your privacy in a dangerous place.
When this Rundll error occurs, there are also a lot of computer issues you may detect on your computer. Complaints on this error from PC users all around the world keep rising sharply:
“Recently I have been having issues with my computer. When I tried to download something from the internet, windows would block it. It stated to go to the internet options menu in the control panel. I went there and it could not be located. Also all text typed into the start menu or windows searches would be white/clear. An error popped up every time I restart the machine and click the start menu. This error reads: “The specified module could not be found.” How can I fix this issue?”
“There was a problem starting. C:Users\User\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll The Specified Module Could not be Found. I get this message whenever I start Windows, is it a virus? How do I get rid of it?”
“My computer freezes up and crashes, I have to disconnect the power to turn it off. When I power back up and reboot it will give me the Specified Module message.”
As mentioned above, we can see this deadly error is a headache for PC users, it is not only annoying, but also dangerous for your computer security, especially when the error is related to a malware. The unwanted specified module pop-ups can occur at Startup when some bad programs are not uninstalled correctly such as Conduit. (Click here to learn more) In this case, it also can change your default homepage and add useless toolbar on your browser, making your surfing experience rather tough. Although there are many programs can help clean up your registry or detect and remove viruses from your computer, they still cannot fix the error problem automatically. If you get this annoying error your computer, it is really important to know the reason that causes the problem and then fix it as quickly as you can.
“The specified module could not be found” error message is ascribed to the following possibility:
1. Some dll. files are damaged or missing ;
2. Attack of malware, adware or other spyware;
3. Incorrect installation of applications;
4. Damaged or obsolete windows registry;
5. Outdated windows device drivers that require updating;
6. Corrupted file allocation;
Note: If you want to fix this error, the first step is to identify the reason why you get this error first.
1. Write down the exact error you see when the computer starts up and then contact YooCare Expert if you are not sure how to handle the issue. It should be in a format such as “There was a problem starting C:\ XXX. The specified module could not be found,” with “XXX” being the specific name of a file.
2. Open Control Panel from Start menu and search for Folder Options. Go to Folder Options window, under View tab, tick Show hidden files and folders and non-tick Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) and then click OK.
3. Under Safe mode with Networking, please hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) keys together to pull up Windows Task Manager; go to Processes tab on top and scroll down the list to find processes associated with “The specified module could not be found” Message and click End process.
4. Open Registry Editor by pressing Windows+R keys and pull up Run box and searching for regedit.
5. Find out and delete files and registry entries as below:
6. Restart computer back and check out if the error still shows up again.
“The specified module could not be found” is a common error that can show up when you try to run a program or on startup. Although sometimes when the error occurs, you can close it down and continue your computer usage, it doesn’t mean your computer is still safe enough. The error could be associated with malware like browser hijacker virus, it modifies your system registry and can launch itself every time you start the computer so that as soon as you log on, this error comes up immediately alerting something wrong with a file or a folder. Most people may think that replacing the problematic files or programs can easily get the problem fixed, but don’t even realize their computer has been infected by a virus. So the removal may be very difficult for an average users because most of time they cannot figure out how the error comes. Viruses associated with this error always hide deeply inside the computer system and it is likely that antivirus program will fail to detect it. It is suggested users contact PC expert to handle the problem quickly.
Note: Manual removal is a skillful and risky job, if any mistakes are made in the process, you may damage your computer immediately. If you have troubles in dealing with this problem, please contact YooCare PC experts 24/7 online for help right now.
Published by Andrew Gonzalez & last updated on February 28, 2014 6:35 am